A truck dash cam should be durable, deliver high-quality video recordings night or day, be easy to use, and include GPS capability to match location to footage. A truck dash cam must also endure vibration, jolts, and hot temperatures.
What other features should you look for in a truck dash cam?
High Tech Premium Lens
The most important part of any dashboard camera system is the lens. 6-layer glass lenses are the state of the art, so you should expect your dashcam to have that technology.
Not every incident happens right in front of the car camera. It may start far to the left or right. For that you need a wide-angle camera that can see the whole road. The best cameras offer a full 170-degree field-of-view in front of the truck.
Interested in learning about other quality dash camera solutions? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
Wide Dynamic Range (WDR)
Constant changes from light to shadows in the field-of-view make it difficult for a car dash camera to properly record detail in the picture. WDR extends the camera’s range to cover a greater span between bright and dark areas in the image.
Most cameras operate in low light, but not every camera records high-quality images at night. Some cameras have a night mode that enhances recording in very low light or at nighttime to capture more detail.
A G-sensor serves multiple purposes in a dashcam. Most dashcams use loop recording to capture video which means that they overwrite previous video footage when they run out of space. That’s okay in most instances because not all the footage is pertinent. The footage you don’t want to overwrite is any associated with an accident or other incident. The G-sensor detects sudden stops, jolts, or vibration associated with a collision allowing the car camera recorder to lock that footage so it can’t be overwritten.
Some dashboard cameras have a parking protection feature that uses the G-Sensor to detect a vibration or impact even with the power off to lock video for later viewing.
A motion sensor detects motion around your vehicle and turns the camera on until the motion has stopped to capture activity around your vehicle when you’re not there.
High-Resolution Photo Capability
The ability to take still photos of an accident can be invaluable in the case of insurance claims or criminal actions. High-resolution photos combined with video footage may make the difference between winning or losing your case.
Most dashcams have small buttons that make it difficult to navigate menus on their small screens. Some have touchscreens that make it much easier to navigate all the functions.
We searched trucker forums, manufacturer sites, consumer sites, social media, customer review sites, and retail sites to find the most popular and highly rated dashcam.
Take a look at our choice and see if this HD dashboard cam is the best dash cam for your needs!
Truck Dash Cam: Top Rated Truck Dashboard Camera
When it comes to features and performance, the Falcon Zero Touch PRO HD Dash Cam is loaded. It has full HD resolution through a state-of-the-art 6-layer glass lens and incorporates Wide Dynamic Range (WDR) technology to provide excellent recordings even in shadowed areas. Its 4-inch capacitive touch screen is unique and makes it much simpler and easier to control onscreen menus and settings. Two Quick Mount Docking Stations allow you to move the camera easily between vehicles without disconnecting the GPS or power cables. The combination of high-quality optics, large 4-inch touchscreen, 170-degree wide-angle FOV, WDR, GPS, G-Sensor, and Parking Security makes this camera a very popular choice for truckers.
Truck Dash Cam: Features
- Full HD 1080p truck dash cam with high-quality optics, WDR Tech, and a 4-inch capacitive touch screen
- State-of-the-art 6-layer premium aspherical glass lens optics and a 3.0 MP CMOS sensor provide superior clarity
- Ultra-Wide Angle 170-degree lens field of view covers all lanes in front of the vehicle with minimal “fish bowl” effect so you don’t miss anything
- TrueHD full HD (1920 x 1080p resolution @30FPS) recording delivers sharp video recordings of all the details including license plates
- Ultra HD Photo capability takes high-resolution 12 MP still photos so you can capture additional evidence for use in support of insurance claims or criminal actions
- Large, 4-Inch, accurate touch response capacitive touch screen allows you to see what the camera sees and delivers frustration-free navigation of menus and settings
- Wide Dynamic Range (WDR) Technology records better video in areas with mixed bright light and shadows
- Enhanced night mode records high-quality video and captures smaller detail in low light conditions or at night
- Twin Quick Mount Docking Station Bracket Systems makes it easier and faster to mount and unmount the camera, allows you to move the camera easily between vehicles, and allows the GPS and power cord to stay attached
- Auto Record turns on the camera automatically when you turn on your vehicle and then automatically shuts down when you turn off your vehicle
- Integrated G-Sensor detects sudden jolts or vibration associated with an incident or collision and automatically locks that section of recording so it can’t be overwritten by loop recording
- Loop recording function records 3-, 5-, or 10-minute clips which you can lock from being overwritten with the touch of a button
- Separate high-quality GPS module and software provide coordinates and speed right on Google Maps
- Integrated motion sensor turns the camera on automatically when it senses motion up to 30 feet away from the vehicle and continuously records until the movement has stopped
- Parking security features automatically turns the camera on when a vibration or impact is felt and locks a 10 second recording to capture parking lot incidents
- Plate Log allows you to enter the license plate number of the vehicle where the DVR is mounted in cases where you move the camera between vehicles
- Supports up to 64GB SD card (Genuine 32 GB Class 10 UHS1 SD card is included)
- HDMI 1.3 output allows you to plug the DVS directly into any HDMI-capable TV and view your footage or pictures on the big screen (HDMI cable required)
- Intelli-Batt Anti Battery Drain Technology prevents leaving you stranded with a dead battery
- 5-Year limited warranty
See Falcon Zero Touch PRO HD Dash Cam Customer Reviews >>>
- Large responsive touchscreen
- Multi-vehicle capable with two docking stations
- High-quality HD video recording
- Quality construction and materials
- Must move separate GPS unit between vehicles with camera
- Included 32 GB SD card is small
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED 'AS IS' AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.
Falcon Zero Touch PRO HD Dash Cam User Guide >>>
Falcon Zero Touch PRO HD Dash Cam GPS Tracking Software Download for Windows >>>
Falcon Zero Touch PRO HD Dash Cam GPS Tracking Software Download for Mac >>>
Download latest Dashcam Viewer Software for Windows and Mac >>>
Truck Dash Cam
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this HD vehicle DVR? Which dash cam are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
A truck dash cam needs to be durable, have a great picture, and be easy to use. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best truck dash cam for your needs!