One of the hottest auto accessories is a reverse camera or backup camera system. It’s no wonder; where has this device been our whole lives? What’s not to like about a system that provides you with additional safety when backing up, but is reasonably priced for the rest of us?
According to USA Today, the new rule would gradually phase in backup camera systems beginning on May 1, 2016 for new light vehicle models and make them mandatory on 100% of new light vehicles by May 1, 2018. Why? They are being recognized as a real lifesaver preventing possibly 1000’s of accidents and tragedies every year.
Well, that’s fine for new cars, but what about reverse cameras or backup cameras for cars already in use? For those you will find many aftermarket backup camera models from several manufacturers. So you’re considering a reverse camera for your car or light truck, but you’re not in love with the idea of hanging a monitor off your windshield or dashboard to get the job done.
Fortunately, there is a solution which you might not be aware of. Manufacturers are designing backup camera systems with the monitor built into a replacement or clip-on rear view mirror. The benefit is that you don’t have to hang an ugly additional monitor from your windshield or dash giving you a much more custom, integrated look. Also, you look at your rear view mirror naturally when you want to back up so it’s also a natural placement for the backup camera’s monitor.
The models of rearview monitor systems have grown rapidly so that there are now several models to choose from. The question is which ones are the best to buy?
We’ve done the research for you and found 5 models of mirror back up camera systems that we think deserve your consideration.
Read on to see our list and see whether one of these rearview monitor reverse camera systems is just the right one for you!
#5 – Vision System VS8 Rear View Monitor System
With its automatic appearing and disappearing monitor built-in to a replacement rear view mirror, there is no need for a separate monitor or display to fill-in that big blind spot to the rear of your vehicle. When not in use, this mirror functions as a regular mirror with full use of its entire width. When you switch to reverse, the 3.5-inch color LED monitor becomes visible to help you back up. It has many great features all built-in to the mirror.
- 3.5-inch (960 x 240 pixels) crystal-clear color LED monitor built-in to the OEM-quality replacement anti-glare rear view mirror
- Camera has 7 night vision LEDs to help with backing up after dark
- License-plate mounted, high-performance, waterproof, reverse CCD camera
- Comes with 18-foot cable for the camera and a 13-foot power cable for the mirror
- Fits most vehicles with windshield-mounted rear view mirror
- Mirror measure 7.3 x 6.2 x 5.6 inches
#4 – 4.3 Inch TFT LCD Clip-On Rearview Backup Camera System
This 4.3-inch TFT LCD rear view camera system boasts a large 4.3-inch monitor built into a high-quality clip-in mirror configuration along with a weatherproof, wireless 2.4 GHz backup camera. With an effective resolution of 656 x 492 pixels and built-in distance line markings this reverse camera system will help you backup safely. This clip-on system comes with several additional features.
- Large 4.3-inch built-in color monitor with 656 x 492 pixels effective resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio, and built-in distance line markings
- Weatherproof (IP67) license plate mount backup camera
- With its 2-video input ports, this system supports, in addition to the backup camera, DVD players and other video equipment
- Clip-on mirror has a special optical lens
- 7 night vision LEDs provide up to 5 meters of night visual range for safe reversing even after dark
- Brightness, contract, hue, and language are all adjustable through the on-screen menu
- No audio input or output
- Easy clip-on installation requires no change to existing rear view mirror.
#3 – Pyle PLCM4300WIR Clip-On Rear View Mirror Wireless Back-Up Camera System
If you often find yourself backing up in tight spots or have concerns about little ones or pets accidentally getting behind you in the driveway, then the Pyle PLCM4300WIR clip-on mirror wireless back up camera system is the easy way to put your mind at ease. With many great features, wireless operation, and solid specs, this Pyle backup camera system is one of the simplest ways to add a backup camera to your vehicle. Check out its many great features.
- Large 4.3-inch TFT-LCD touchscreen monitor built in to full size anti-glare rear view mirror allows you to change options and operate with the touch of your finger
- Monitor has built-in distance scale lines clearly pointing out the distance from visible obstacles
- IR night vision and low-light illumination capable, wireless rear view camera with universal mount installs anywhere on your vehicle
- Mirror clips easily on your existing rear view mirror
- Monitor has multiple AV inputs so it can also be used for a portable DVD player, GPS, cameras, or other AV equipment
- 2.4 GHz wireless transmitter has a max range of approximately 25 meters/82 feet and makes installation easier on larger vehicles like trucks, vans, and limos where cable runs would be long and difficult.
- Mirror measures 3.03W x 0.98D x 10.79W inches, weighs approximately 1.8 lbs., and has a video resolution of 480 x 271 pixels
- 1-Year warranty included
#2 – Pyle PLCM7200 7-Inch TFT Clip-On Mirror Monitor with Rearview Night Vision Camera
The very popular Pyle PLCM7200 has a very large 7-inch display and mirror that simply clips on to your existing rear view mirror to provide crystal-clear enhance vision behind your vehicle.
It is night vision-capable and comes with a license plate mount camera that’s also easy to install. Get up and running fast and gain the extra peace-of-mind that being able to see clearly behind you brings. Find out all the features that make this Pyle backup camera so popular below.
- 7-inch (16:9 aspect ratio) widescreen monitor has a resolution of 480 x 234 pixels
- Backup camera anti-glare mirror clips easily to your existing mirror
- Night vision-capable rear view, license plate mount camera with IR LEDs
- Monitor display appears when backing up and disappears when not in reverse reverting to a regular rear view mirror
- Mirror has multiple video inputs to support additional AV devices like DVD players
- Unit comes with a wireless remote control for easy adjustment of all options
- Screen measures 10.19W x 4.25H x 1.81D inches
#1 – Peak PKC0RG Clip-On Small Rearview Mirror with 3.5-Inch Backup Camera
It doesn’t get any easier to install than this backup camera from Peak. The Peak PKC0RG mirror installs easily over your existing rearview mirror and because of its wireless design, you don’t need to run any wires between the transmitter and the mirror. This saves you from the most difficult part of installing any wired reverse camera. With its swivel camera with the wide-angle view, you will get the most complete picture of what’s going on behind you before you start backing up. This Peak has some great features.
- 3.5-inch full-color monitor built into a clip-on rear view mirror that installs over your existing rear view mirror with spring-loaded brackets and not tools
- Patented mirror tinting technology shows the camera’s view when you need it (in reverse) and sits invisible when you don’t
- Swivel, wide-angle license plate mount camera with weatherproof camera housing
- Standby with auto mode when the camera is on
- Wireless transmitter can be mounted neatly in your trunk
- Complete system can be installed on any vehicle in minutes
- This wireless backup system is perfect for families with little ones or pets, cars, truck, SUVs, vans, RVs, campers, semi-trucks, and towing
- 90-Day limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of our picks? Which backup camera are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our backup camera article! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you when choosing your reverse camera!