If you’re looking for a great dashboard camera for cars, we recently had the opportunity to install and test a compact, lightweight dash camera that has the ability to record Super HD quality video and manual 16MP still shots through a wide 170-degree field of view lens.
Interested in seeing other dashboard video cameras? Be sure and see our articles reviewing some of the best:
- Dash Cam: New Gen Air Gesture Car HD DVR GPS Nav Mirror
- Car Camera Recorder: Best Rated Car Dash Cam
- Car Cameras: Top 12 New Black Box Dash Cams
- Car Camera: Best Black Box Traffic Accident Camera
- Dashcam: Hottest Dashcam Captures It All
- Dash Cameras: Top 7 In-Car Dashboard Cameras-Dash Cams
It’s the VANTRUE OnDash R1 Pro Dash Cam and it has the quality, resolution, and features to set it apart from many other dash cams.
One thing that impresses you as soon as you take the video camera out of the box is its weight and materials. The camera is not a cheap plastic model that’s going to break after several uses. It is a quality camera with metal construction and a good weight to it that is sure to mean a long service life.
The camera is also very compact. It will tuck nicely behind your rearview mirror and be hardly noticeable to you or anyone outside the car. If you leave the camera installed in the car continuously, its compact size may keep prying eyes from targeting it for theft.
The camera’s mount is an interesting design that features a built-in ring that helps secure the camera to the windshield. You simply attach the camera to the mount and place the mount on the windshield where you want it. Then, once you’re satisfied just rotate the ring until it clicks and the mount and camera are secured. It’s easy to use and provides a very strong attachment for your camera.
When looking through the setup we noticed that it also has an amazing array of video resolution choices along with a number of adjustable video settings to help you find the perfect setup to produce the best images.
We installed the car dash camera on a 2014 Jeep Cherokee’s windshield using the included camera mount and plugged the unit into a handy built-in USB port. The installation was easy, but setup was a little challenging. It’s difficult to know among all the settings what the best setup is for your situation without using the camera for a while and making adjustments.
Obviously, most users aren’t going to want to adjust the setup of their dashboard camera for cars every time they get in the car so the goal would be to find a compromise configuration that will give the best picture for the most situations.
The screen is also small at 2.7 inches, but the purpose of the screen is not to watch the video while it’s being recorded, so that’s not a problem as far as that’s concerned, but it does make working with the menu and reading the onscreen indicators a little more difficult.
If you don’t want to adjust any settings, you can just plug the camera into power and go. We tried that and for the most part, the setup was good enough to get quality video results.
Once we were done with the setup, away we went. This dashboard camera for cars was a great performer for us providing crystal clear, detailed images under a variety of light conditions including bright sunshine and city lights at night.
Something that we should have done which you always have to keep in mind with these dash cameras for cars is to ensure your windshield is very clear. That may mean more than just washing it with the windshield wipers and window wash. You may need to get out the glass cleaner and clean the windshield inside and out to reduce glare and light streaks caused by a dirty windshield. It’s also not a one-time activity. You should check your windshield each time you go out and clean it if necessary to make sure you’re going to get the best picture with your camera. At first glance, our windshield looked very clean, but especially at night, the camera showed that it needed to be cleaned in order to prevent glare.
Other features we like about the camera are its 16MP still shots which look amazing and the built-in HDMI port which allows you to plug the camera directly into your HDTV’s available HDMI port for instance and display the recordings from the camera.
We were able to clearly see license plates, street signs, and other signs that might be necessary to reconstruct an event captured on video.
The placement of the power port on the camera may be a problem for those installing the camera more permanently. It’s on the bottom, which is great for plugging into a 12V power port, or a USB port, but if you want to hardwire the camera, it would be better if it were on the side or top.
In summary, the VANTRUE OnDash R1 Pro Dash Cam is a high-quality, compact, lightweight, car dash cam, with plenty of adjustability to get the best picture, and high-resolution images that should satisfy any requirements for in-car video.
Take a look at the OnDash R1 Pro and see if it’s the best dash cam for your needs!
The VANTRUE OnDash R1 Pro Dash Cam is a compact, lightweight dashboard camera that mounts easily on your windshield behind the rear view mirror using an innovative mount that holds the camera securely in place. Designed to start recording when you turn on the car, you won’t miss a beat because you forgot to turn the camera on. This camera comes with an amazing array of high resolutions specifications as well as plenty of adjustability to record the best images possible. The R1 Pro uses a technique called Super High Dynamic Range (HDR) to improve the camera’s imaging by adjusting the visual output to be more like what the human eye sees. The result is an image that appears sharper and clearer than without HDR. Here’s what you need to know.
- Super High Dynamic Range imaging for sharper, clearer images that more naturally mimic what the human eye sees under a variety of lighting conditions
- 2.7 inch color LCD keeps the camera small, while providing enough viewable area to properly target the camera, playback video and pictures, and use menu functions
- High-end Ambarella A7L50 + ultra-sensitive OV4689 lens solution with 6-glass F2.0 lens provides clearer videos and better results
- Camera starts automatically when you turn on the ignition
- Super quality resolutions include 2560*[email protected], 2304*[email protected], 1920*[email protected]
- Built-in camera button snaps high-quality 16MP images
- Noise reduction microphone and speaker records quality sound
- Timeout function turns off the display after the start of recording to eliminate distraction of the display
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) video
- Wide 170 degree viewing angle
- Supports Date, Time, and License Number stamping of video footage
- Built-in G-Sensor supports an emergency lock button and accident auto-detection feature which can lock the current video file and automatically collect it into a protected “Event” folder
- Seamless 1/3/5 minutes loop recording function enables overwrite of older footage once SD card is filled to capacity
- System auto-detects motion up to 30 feet away (Motion Detect) and continues record until the motion stops
- Built-in HDMI port allows you to display footage directly on your HDMI-capable HDTV using an HDMI cable
- Detects when your parked car is bumped (Parking Monitor) and auto-records footage that may identify the culprit
- Able to withstand temperatures from -4 to 158 degrees F
- Quick-response support team, 100% customer satisfaction guarantee, and 18 month limited warranty
- 1 – 11.8-foot microUSB power cord
- 1 – Car charger
- 1 – Suction cup bracket
- Great picture quality under a variety of light conditions
- Quality construction and materials
- Strong mount to windshield
- Power connection at bottom is awkward
- All of the features can be overwhelming to manage
- Only supports up to 64GB SD card
- Camera gets very hot to the touch
- Limited loop option
Dashboard Camera for Cars
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this VANTRUE camera? Which dashboard camera system are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our dashboard camera post! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose a dashboard camera for cars that meets your needs!