Dash cams are becoming more and more popular as car owners realize the benefits of being able to offer proof of their statements in the event of a witness-less accident that can be provided by an in car camera system. Many dash camera models also have the ability to function as a car surveillance camera while your vehicle is parked. The functionality of a car surveillance camera can prevent perpetrators from hitting your vehicle and then fleeing without suffering any consequences.
The key to a good car surveillance camera and dash cam is resolution. You need high resolution to make out as much detail as possible to prove your case. That can include license plate numbers, vehicle year make, and model, vehicle color, and even faces. High resolution allows you to capture the detail you may need to protect yourself against insurance fraud or bolster your claim with your insurance company.
Super HD 1296p
High-resolution, Super HD dash cameras are now available with resolutions up to 1296p. These cameras provide better-quality video capture night and day than ever before. The resolution that these cameras provide is your best probability yet of capturing video in enough detail to make a difference in a he-said, she-said situation.
Interested in learning about other dash camera solutions? Be sure and see our other articles about some of the best!
- Dash Camera System: New High Performance KDLINKS Dashboard Camera
- Rear View Mirror Camera: Top-Rated Car Rearview Mirror Backup Camera System
- Camera for Car: Top 5 Best Rated Full HD Dash Cams
- Dashboard Cams: Wildly Popular Full HD Dash Camera
- Dashboard Camera for Cars: New VANTRUE OnDash R1 Pro Dash Cam
- Dash Cam: New Gen Air Gesture Car HD DVR GPS Nav Mirror
- Car Camera Recorder: Best Rated Car Dash Cam
- Car Cameras: Top 12 New Black Box Dash Cams
- Car Camera: Best Black Box Traffic Accident Camera
- Dashcam: Hottest Dashcam Captures It All
- Dash Cameras: Top 7 In-Car Dashboard Cameras-Dash Cams
Why a Dash Cam?
Gone are the days when the offending driver will accept blame for their negligence. These days, you need to be able to prove your case or possibly suffer unwarranted liability and higher insurance rates through no fault of your own.
How Do They Function?
Most modern dashboard cameras record continuously on a loop overwriting previous footage until the moment of an accident or incident. Then they lock the footage so that it cannot be overwritten. That short piece of footage, several seconds long, could be the difference between proving you were in the right, and accepting the blame because the physical evidence or the other driver’s false statements claim you are liable.
Car Surveillance Camera
A car surveillance camera has a built-in motion detector that is triggered when people, cars, or other objects come near your vehicle. They can capture incidents like a fender-bender, a door opening into your car, somebody running a shopping cart into your car, kids hitting your car with their toys, and many more.
We searched social media, dash cam customer review sites, manufacturer sites, automotive electronics forums, consumer sites, and retail sites to find the most popular and highly rated 1296p dash cam models.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these capable 1296p dash cameras is the best dash cam for your needs.
With 1296p resolution at 30fps, the Vantrue R2 2K Super H 1296p Car Dash Cam produces motion picture quality video over a wide 170-degree wide angle field of view. Its high-end optical glass lenses minimize distortion while its technologically advanced Ambarella A7 CPU and OV489 CMOS sensor work together with its wide dynamic range (WDR) to provide better night vision and better response to changes between light and shadows. It features a built-in G-Sensor that automatically protects incidents recordings from being overwritten by loop recording and a unique parking mode that uses a built-in motion detector to turn the system into a capable car surveillance camera. Its high-quality F2.0 6-layer optical glass lens is dust and heatproof and provides clear, detailed images. Install and forget, the camera comes on automatically when power is connected and continues to loop record without manual intervention. Here’s what you need to know about this car security camera.
Car Surveillance Camera Features
- Car dash camera with 2K Super HD 1296p resolution and 170-degree wide angle field-of-view
- High-quality F2.0 6-layer, dust and heatproof optical glass lens feature wide 170-degree field of view for capturing as much video information as possible to the front and side of your vehicle from a forward-facing system
- Built-in Ambarella A7 CPU provides optimal performance
- An OV4689 CMOS sensor improves night vision and with WDR provides more detail and better response to changes between light and shadows
- Built-in G-Sensor automatically locks video footage when an incident is detected to protect is from overwriting by the loop recording system or you can use the Emergency button to manually lock the video on demand
- Car surveillance camera or parking mode is triggered automatically by the integrated motion detector and records when people or objects come within 33 feet of the front of your car
- 2.7-ich LCD video display
- Includes 32 GB microSD card
- Operates effectively in temperatures from 32 to 158 degrees F and has high temperature protection that shuts down the camera automatically when it overheats
- Strong suction cup mount keeps camera firmly attached to your windshield
- Event videos are saved in an Event folder that is easy to find and review
- USB port on the mount makes it easier to route cables
- Wirecutter and DigitalTrends’ Best Dash Cam Pick
- System is GPS-enabled to work with an optional Car Suction Cup Mount with GPS Receiver Module (for Windows) and mini USB Port for Vantrue OnDash R2 X2 X1 Dash Cam
- to track driving route and speed
Capable of capturing 2K Super HD 2304 x 1296p video at 30fps, the Z-Edge 2K Super HD 1296p Dash Cam provides the detailed documentation you may need to protect yourself from fraudulent insurance claims. With WDR superior night vision, a 6-glass lens, and a wide-angle 150-degree field-of-view it provides high-quality, crisp, clear, high-resolution recordings. Its upgraded image sensor and processor capture more detail at a distance and across a variety of light conditions. Here’s what you need to know.
- 2K Super HD video dashboard camera with 2304 x 1296p resolution captured at 30fps
- Precision 6-layer optical glass lens provides wide-angle 150-degree field-of-view with minimal distortion and with WDR produces superior quality night vision
- Seamless loop recording continuously records overwriting old footage until the integrated G-sensor detects an incident when it automatically locks footage protecting it against overwriting
- A built-in Emergency Button allows you to manually protect footage
- Camera starts automatically during vehicle ignition and off when you turn off the car
- Car surveillance camera or parking mode uses a built-in motion sensor to activate the camera and capture people or objects near the front of the vehicle
- Capable of operating in temperatures from 10 to 140 degrees F and has auto shutdown to protect the camera against overheating
- Video resolutions include 2304 x 1296P (1296P 30fps) 1920 x 1080P (1080P 30fps) 1280 x 720P (720P 60fps)
- 16GB microSD card included and supports up to 128GB
- 2.7-inch scratch-resistant LCD display with energy-saving LCD screen-off timer
- Fully-adjustable, quick removal suction mount with screw-in attachment
- 18-Month limited warranty, 30-Day money back guarantee, and lifetime support
- 1 – 16GB Kingstone microSD card
- 1 – Car charger
- 1 – Windshield mount
- 1 – 31.4-inch microUSB cable
- 1 – Extra-long 157-inch microUSB charging cable
- 1 – Wipe cloth
- 4 – Cable clips
The new technology INSIQ AW5 16MP Super HD 1296p Compact Dash Cam features a compact design that measures only 2.5 x 2.3 x 1.2 inches to take up less space and make it less of a target for thieves. Despite its small size, it has all the latest technology built-in including a new technology Ambarella chipset and user-friendly software. Here’s what you need to know about this car camera recorder.
- Compact 16MP 1296p Super HD dash camera with wide-angle 150-degree FOV
- Latest Ambarella A7LA50 processor and OV4689 Sensor provide seamless operation and quick camera response
- Precision 7-layer F1.8 aperture optical glass lens
- WDR provides better images in low or changing light conditions
- Automatic loop recording is adjustable in 1, 3, or 5 minute segments for easier viewing and data transfer
- Automatic start and stop at ignition start and stop
- Built-in G sensor has three different collision sensitivity settings and automatically protects footage against overwrite by loop recording when it detects an incident
- Superior HD night vision
- Takes pictures with adjustable 16MP, 13MP, 9MP, and 4MP settings
- Automatic car surveillance camera or parking monitor mode that turns on the camera automatically when its built-in motion sensor detects vibrations even when the car isn’t running
- 2.0-inch LCD screen with energy-saving off timer
- Camera resolution capability includes 2560×1080 @30FPS (21:9 Aspect Ratio), 2304×1296 @30FPS (16:9), 1920×1080 @ 45 & 30 FPS, 1920×720 @ 60 FPS
- Mount provides full 360° horizontal rotation angle
- 1 – Suction cup mount
- 1 – 11.8-foot USB car charger cable
- 1 – USB data transfer cable
- 1 – Class 10 32GB microSD car with PC/MAC adapter
Another very capable dash camera, the Elecwave EW-D200 Super HD 1296p Dash Cam features state-of-the art processor and sensor, ultra-wide angle 170-degree field of view, F2.0 aperture, and amazing 1296p resolution. This is the type of camera that has the capability to provide detailed information about a collision that could make the difference with law enforcement and your insurance company. Other powerful features include a built-in G-Sensor, built-in GPS, car surveillance camera mode, speed warnings, and drive time warnings. Here’s what you need to know about this car video recorder.
- 4MP/16MP peak photo, 1296p Super HD video dash camera with ultra wide-angle 170-degree FOV
- 6-layer optical glass F2.0 aperture lens provides ultra-wide angle 170-degree field of view
- New technology Ambarella A7L50 processor and OV4689 1/3-inch CMOS 4M HD sensor provide fast performance an amazing video capture detail
- Built-in GPS provides location and tracking information, over-speed and drive time warnings
- Provide track information along the way, also can remind you when occurs over-speed or driving too long time set.
- G-Sensor detects motion and crash and locks even videos to prevent overwriting
- Car surveillance camera mode detects vibration while parked and records activity near the front of the vehicle
- Auto restore function recovers damaged videos recorded in low battery
- Seamless loop recording efficiently uses storage space by overwriting old unlocked footage and creates transferrable files
- Built-in image correction for better results
- 2.7-inch TFT LCD display
- Auto-on and auto-off with ignition
- Video resolutions include 2560*1080 30fps 21:9 / 2304*1296 30fps 16:9 / 1920*1080 45fps 16:9 / HDR 1920*1080 30fps 16:9 / 1920*1080 30fps 16:9 / 1280*720 60fps 16:9 / 1280*720 30fps 16:9
- Voice broadcast modes include complete, simple, and off
- Built-in microphone and speaker
- Built-in drive time warning can be set to off, 1h, 2h, 3h, or 4h
- Over-speed warning can be set to 80/90/100/110/120/130/140/150/160 KPH
- Can accept external SD memory cards up to 64GB
- Interface slots include SD, microUSB, and HDMI output to TV
- 1 – Bracket
- 1 – Car charger
- 1 – 16GB SD card
- 1 – microUSB cable
The SANSCO Mega-Pixel Black Box 1296p Dashboard Camcorder is a high-end dashboard camera that features a Super HD 1296p resolution, 150-degree True Wide Vision Angle, 6-element glass lens built-in G-Sensor motion and crash detection, one-button audio recorder, and high-quality night vision. It uses loop recording methodology for efficient recording and Wide Dynamic Range to provide more natural video quality in changing light conditions. Unfortunately, no SD card is included with the kit. Here’s what you need to know.
- 4MP Super HD 1296p dashboard camera with 150-degree True Wide Vision Angle and WDR superior quality night vision
- Precision 6-element optical glass lens
- 4MP sensor and H.264 video compression
- G-Sensor detects accidents and locks video recording protecting it from overwriting by loop recording
- Manual Emergency lock button
- Camera starts/stops with ignition start/stop
- Motion within field of view triggers automatic recording
- 2.7-inch TFT LCD display
- Video resolutions include: 2304 x [email protected]; 1920 x [email protected]; HDR 1920 x [email protected]; 1280 x [email protected]; 1280 x [email protected]
- 5MP photo resolution
- Built-in microphone and speaker
- Supports up to 64GB SD card
- One-button audio recording capability
- 1-Year limited warranty and 100% satisfaction guarantee
- 1 – Car charger
- 1 – USB cable
- 1 – Suction cup mount
- 1 – Vehicle power cable
One of the most popular and highly-rated dash cams available and our personal favorite from WheelWitness, the WheelWitness HD PRO Super HD 1296p Dash Cam with GPS has features that truly set it apart from other cameras. It is GPS-enabled out of the box, has a larger 3.0-inch LCD crystal-clear display, and even provides lane-departure warning. Driven by a powerful, innovative processor, this dash cam features loop recording, a G-sensor motion detector, and other features that protect you when you need it most without missing a moment. Here’s what you need to know.
- Super HD 1296p dash camera with built-in GPS, ultra wide-angle 170 degree FOV lens, and Wide Dynamic Range Technology for superior night vision and compensation for changing light conditions
- Advanced Ambarella A7LA50 processor
GPS-enabled so that you can track the vehicle’s route along with the recorded video
- G-Sensor detects an accident and locks recording footage to prevent overwriting by loop recording
- Lane departure and accident detection warning capability
- Continuous loop recording for efficient capture of video
- Car plate stamp feature displays your vehicle’s license plate number for further vehicle identification
- Plug-n-play design means you just plug in the power and the camera starts recording automatically
- Includes 3 different mounting solutions including two sticky mounts and one suction cup mount
- Larger 3.0-inch crystal-clear LCD display with power-saving screensaver functionality
- Resolutions include Full HD 1080p and Super HD 1296p and the camera provides Exposure Value (EV) control
- Includes a 16GB microSD card with the capability to support up to 64GB and a USB adapter for transferring files to your PC
- Built-in USB and HDMI ports
The AUSDOM AD282 4MP Super HD 1296p Vehicle Dash Cam has everything you need to record high-quality video and photos to protect yourself from fraud in the event of an accident. It features state-of-the-art processor and sensor, a wide 130-degree FOV, a precision 6-element glass lens with IR, and car surveillance camera functionality. Here’s what you need to know.
- Super HD 1296p resolution vehicle dash camera with 130-degree wide angle FOV
- Advanced Ambarella A7LA50 chipset provides better processing performance and is paired with the OV4689 sensor with adjustable megapixel photo capability between 16MP to 1.3MP defaulted to 4MP
- Precision 6 element optical glass lens has f/1.8 aperture and IR with focus = 2.8
- Recording is selectable among loop recording, regular recording, or time-specified recording
- Built-in G-Sensor automatically triggers an event lock that protects accident or incident footage from overwriting by loop recording
- 2.4-inch LCD display
- A 16GB Class 10 microSD card is included with the capability to accept up to 64GB
- HDR Vision Function prevents overexposure or underexposure by automatically adjusting recording to compensate for varying light conditions
- Car surveillance camera or Parking Monitor mode triggers auto-recording when the sensor detects people or objects near the front of the vehicle
- Video resolutions available include 2304 x 1296p, 2560 x 1080p, 1920 x 1080p, 1280 x 720p @ 30fps
- Camera operating temperatures are -68 to 167 degrees F
- 1-Year limited warranty
- 1 – 16GB Class 10 microSD card
1 – Car charger
1 – Mounting bracket
1 – Power cable
Car Surveillance Camera Comparison
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these 1296p car cameras? Which dash cam are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our LicensePlateBracketCentral.com Car Surveillance Camera post! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best car surveillance camera for your needs!