A car camera recorder has become one of those must-have auto accessories. It has the potential to protect you from insurance fraud, unwanted liability, and higher insurance premiums by recording the moment of an incident. That momentary recording by a quality car camera recorder could easily be the witness you need to prove your case.
Interested in learning about other popular dash cams? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Truck Dash Cam: Top Rated Truck Dashboard Camera
- Vehicle Camera: Top Rated Budget Super HD Dash Cam Sees All
- In Car Camera: Upgraded Vantrue R2 2K Super HD Dash Cam
- Car Surveillance Camera: Top 7 Best Rated Super HD 1296p Dash Cams
- Dash Camera System: New High Performance KDLINKS Dashboard Camera
- Camera for Car: Top 5 Best Rated Full HD Dash Cams
- Dashboard Cams: Wildly Popular Full HD Dash Camera
- Dashboard Camera for Cars: New VANTRUE OnDash R1 Pro Dash Cam
- Dash Cam: New Gen Air Gesture Car HD DVR GPS Nav Mirror
- Car Camera Recorder: Best Rated Car Dash Cam
- Car Cameras: Top 12 New Black Box Dash Cams
The unfortunate truth is that hit-and-run accidents are all too common. This includes the infamous staged accidents where thieves try to extort money from innocent victims. When you’re involved in an accident, you need solid proof that the facts are as you state them to the police so that you can avoid those “he said-she said” incidents where there are no witnesses to back up your side of the story.
Not every car camera recorder is a quality recorder. There are certain characteristics of a dash cam that you should definitely look for to make sure your “witness” is there for you when you need it with a high-quality, easily discernible picture.
First, you want the camera to be at least full HD-capable. HD will give you the most detail and the best picture.
The wider field-of-view the dashboard camera has the more likely it is that you will capture video information that you might need. Go with a camera that has a field of view of at least 140 degrees.
The information you record should be accurate from the video data to the location of your vehicle at the time of the incident. Only GPS can give you an accurate location that doesn’t depend on recognizing the surroundings.
Accidents don’t just happen on a sunny day. In fact, they happen at night and in bad weather. That means that it may even be likely that the incident you are involved in will be in low-light conditions. Low-light conditions will require that you have a car camera with the best low-light performance you can afford.
Temperature affects dash cameras just like any other electronic device. If your camera will be sitting in your car in Arizona during the heat of the day or in Alaska during the cold of night, you need to make sure whichever camera you purchase can take the heat…or the cold.
Most cameras loop their recording to save storage space on the SD card. That means periodically old footage will be overwritten by the newest video recording. It’s important for incident recording that the camera has the ability to lock footage so that it can’t be overwritten. This can happen by you pushing a button or automatically upon incident detection.
If you can find customer reviews for the model you’re looking for, it can be very helpful in zeroing in on problems users are having with some of its features. Of course, if the camera is generally low-rated, then it might not be worth taking a look.
If the camera is rated highly, then take a very close look at the negative reviews to see what stands out that you might not be considering.
We found a car camera recorder that meets all of our requirements and more.
It also happens to be one of the highest rated car dashboard cameras available.
See if this dashboard camera is the best dash cam for your needs!
KDLINKS has managed to pack several high-quality components and a load of features into its very popular and top-rated KDLINKS X1 Full-HD Wide Angle Car Dashboard Camcorder with GPS. A couple of unique features that set this unit apart from some is the fact that the camera starts recording immediately as soon as you turn the ignition and a motion detection system can start the camera to capture a parked incident involving your vehicle. The reason this unit is so popular though is the quality of materials and components that have gone into its manufacture. With the KDLINKS X1 you can count on crisp video, great sound, and an amazing night mode. Here’s what you need to know.
- Full HD (1920 x 1080p) video camcorder at 30 fps with H.264 compression, super-sensitive AR0330 sensor, a six-glass F1.6 lens, and a super-wide 165 degree field-of-view
- The system uses Wide Dynamic Range (WDR) technology and an F1.6 high-quality camera lens combine to produce stunning video detail at night
- Camcorder starts recording immediately once you turn the ignition
- A built-in motion detection system records incidents involving your vehicle like attempted break-ins and vandalism even when you’re not there
- Endless loop recording saves data space and in conjunction with automatic On/Off works without human intervention
- The unit records precise GPS data on to recorded video and allows you to check vehicle location, speed, and route thanks to a built-in precision GPS and an interface to Google Maps through the included KDLINKS Player Software
- The system uses an Emergency Lock Button or its Auto Detection Feature through the built-in G-Sensor to protect incident footage from overwriting by the loop recording
- If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, you can count on the X1’s high-quality Li-polymer 3.7V 120 mAh battery which has been tested to withstand +170 degrees F or -40 degrees F for 6 hours plus
- A built-in 2.7-inch video screen allows you to view footage in the car
- An 8GB Micro SD card is included with the kit
- Windshield Suction Cup w/ GPS Module
- 1 Extra Suction Cup w/ EMPTY GPS Module
- Car Charger w/ Long Cable
- 8GB Micro SD Card
- Card Reader
- CD with Video Player Software for GPS Function
- User Manual
- Quality construction and components
- Good value for your dollar
- Crystal clear video
- Great customer service
- Suction cup mount not compact
- Menu system takes getting used to
- Some reports of software problems
Video Quality Comparison
Car Camera Recorder
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this top-rated camera system? Which dashcam are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our dashboard camera article! We sincerely hope that it has given you valuable information that can help you choose the right car camera recorder for your needs!