If you live in the city, or even in the suburbs, you may know the pain of somebody hitting your prized-possession car in the back while parking and not owning up to it. If this is a risk for you then you probably really need one of the rear bumper guards for cars.
Without one you end up with damage on your car to repair. It’s not going to be free because you have a deductible to pay, it’s a real pain because it takes time and is never convenient, and it may also raise your insurance rates costing you even more money. If you’re not familiar with bumper guards for cars, they are a lot different than in the old days.
Rear bumper guards for cars are now highly sophisticated protectors for the rear bumper that are made of high-tech materials to safely protect your rear bumper from the taps you may get while others are parking. Plus, they detach easily to place in your trunk out of the way while driving.
Interested in seeing other bumper protector solutions? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Rear Bumper Protector: Hitch-Mounted Rear Bumper Guard Protects SUVs and Trucks
- Rubber License Plate Holder: Top 4 Best Rated Big City Front Bumper Guards
- Flexyframe: Top 3 Front Bumper Guard Protectors
When you park on the street, it’s only a matter of time before someone scuffs your bumper or puts a dent in it while they try to park their car. Protect your car from this damage by getting a rear bumper protector. They are effective and affordable.
Something to look out for when purchasing a bumper protector is the size and fit. Most bumper protectors are available in a variety of sizes and it’s easy to choose the wrong one. Most important you don’t want to block rear exhaust with the protector, so the model you choose should fit between the exhausts if you have two.
Also, you want to make sure it covers your whole bumper height, so measuring the height of your bumper is important. Carefully follow the directions before you buy to properly measure your car for the protector in order to make sure you have the best buying experience.
Another consideration is your license plate. In some jurisdictions, you may find that it is against the law to block your license plate while parked. Check with your local law enforcement to make sure using a rear bumper protector over your license plate isn’t against the law. In the case where it is, you may want to consider buying another plate to mount on the outside of the bumper protector while parked that hides away with the protector in your trunk while driving.
Also, for most, you will need to remove the protector and place it in your trunk each time you drive. Most are not designed to be left on the vehicle while driving.
We searched car forums, manufacturer sites, consumer sites, customer review sites, social media, and retail sites to find the most popular and highly rated bumper protectors.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these popular models is the best bumper guard for your car!
We’ve added the Luv-Tap BG001 Complete Coverage Universal Fit Rear Bumper Guard to our list as a bonus because of its new and improved features. It now includes standard permanently stitched anti-theft quad embedded steel straps with quick-release anchoring parachute buckles and improved suction cups lined with washable/renewable no-residue gel adhesive that creates a strong, yet temporary year-round bond to your vehicle’s surface. This model is full coverage and assumes that your license plate mount is in the trunk rather than in the bumper. This bumper guard can remain attached to your bumper at all times, unlike others that need to be removed while driving and then replaced when parked. Here’s what you need to know about these bumper guards for cars.
Bumper Guards for Cars: Features
- Patent-pending complete coverage rear bumper guard is sleek and understated in appearance, yet secure and protective in function and can remain attached indefinitely without having to remove and replace
- Permanently stitched-on anti-theft quad embedded 2-part hidden braided steel cable-bordered straps
- Quick-release anchoring parachute buckles in the trunk provide anti-theft anchoring while still being easy and fast to remove
- Setup custom fit once and remove and attach as often as you need without having to readjust
- Improved suction cups use washable/renewable no-residue gel adhesive to create a strong, but temporary year-round bond to your vehicle’s surface
- Parallel-parking design wraps around the corners of your bumper to protect your entire bumper from fender to fender
- Designed for all-weather use, it’s machine washable, protects your car regardless of the season or precipitation, and remains flexible to protect your bumper from scratches and marks
- Adjustable in length with a unique shape that contours to your bumper for maximum protection and a custom fit that won’t detract from your vehicle’s stylish appearance
- Hook and loop fasteners make sizing and attachment quick and easy without tools while supplied bungee cords and super-strong suction cups offer options for secure 6-point attachment
Billed as one of the most effective car bumper protectors on the market, the ParkingArmor 4.2 Rear Bumper Guard comes in a variety of sizes for vehicles small and large and features a 2-inch thick foam core that makes it both lightweight and cushioned. Unlike some of the hard plastic models, this model has some give to it thanks to its weather-resistant, rubber-like material. Here’s what you need to know about these bumper guards for cars.
- Weather-resistant rubber material construction
- Waterproof steel-reinforced straps (SRS straps) help deter theft
- 2-inch extra-thick, hi-density, foam core
- Ultra Brite silver safety strip
- Soft anti-skid foam pads behind trunk straps protect your car’s paint finish
- Flex-Body Structure flexes around the contours of your bumper
- Not recommended for very narrow bumpers (e.g. Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, etc.) or rear engine vehicles (e.g. Porsche 911)
- Easy to install and stow
- Thick protector
- Padded straps prevent damage
- Sturdy construction
- Material not 100% waterproof
- Velcro attaches poorly
- Width may be too wide to fold into trunk easily
- Brand too prominent on the protector
BumperBully’s basic, entry-level model is called the Black Edition BumperBully Rear Bumper Guard and despite its designation comes with patented stabilizer bars which enables the protector to stay in place on your bumper for the best protection. It does not come with steel reinforced straps or safety reflectors that their other models come with. It definitely looks good on your car featuring a black-on-black design with a white logo and presents a more subdued look than their other models. Like all the BumperBully brand protectors, the Black Edition is made from their premium-grade, soft, elastic rubber material that performs better than the PVC plastic of other brands. Here’s what you need to know.
- Premium-grade, non-PVC rubber material construction
- Patented stabilizer bars keep protector in place providing maximum protection from top to bottom of your bumper
- Design complements the lines and curves of modern vehicles
- Waterproof trunk straps
- Fits and looks good
- Sturdy construction
- Easy to install and stow
- Great value
- Could be wider to protect vehicle corners
- No theft deterrent metal in straps
- Velcro doesn’t stick very well to the carpet in the trunk
Another brand that is very popular is the BumperBadger brand. Their BumperBadger HD Edition Rear Bumper Guard flips easily out of your trunk to cover the rear bumper and features linear raised ribbing for a more flexible impact zone, top stabilizer bars for proper positioning, and triple-stitched straps. Here’s what you need to know about these bumper guards for cars.
- Premium weatherproof material construction
- Easy to use, it flips easily out of your trunk to protect your bumper while parked and then flips back into the trunk while driving
- Linear raised ribbing on the front provide flexible impact absorption zones that better cushions minor parking bumps
- Top stabilizer bars keep the BumperBadger flat and stable on your bumper for better protection
- Triple-stitched trunk straps are not metal-reinforced but are stronger and more durable than standard straps
- Value priced
- Durable, high-quality design and construction
- Nice looking design
- Easy to install
Billed as BumperBully’s most popular model, the Gold Edition BumperBully Extreme Rear Bumper Guard has many of the features you would want in a rear bumper protector. Complete with standard steel-reinforced, waterproof trunk straps, red safety reflectors, and patented stabilizer bars, it’s no wonder it’s so popular. Constructed from BumperBully’s premium grade, soft, elastic rubber material, the Bumper Bully Extreme Gold Edition absorbs minor bumps better than harder PVC products. Here’s what you need to know.
- Constructed from premium grade, soft, elastic rubber material that absorbs minor bumps and scrapes better than other harder PVC-based products
- Heavy-duty, steel-reinforced, waterproof trunk straps hold firm while deterring theft
- High-intensity red safety reflectors improve the visibility of your rear bumper and make your bumper easier to see by parking drivers and in emergency situations
- Patented stabilizer bars at the top of the BumperBully make it more stable on your bumper reducing the chance that your bumper will have exposed areas
- This model is one of the largest on the market measuring 46W x 12H inches
- Easy setup and use
- Durable construction and materials
- Metal-reinforced strips deter theft
- Good value
- Velcro loses grip quickly
BumperBully’s top of the line rear bumper protector, the Platinum Edition Bumper Bully comes with additional impact pads for even more protection than their other models. Each impact pad adds 10 mm of additional protection against damage from scrapes and minor bumps from parking cars. You still get the BumperBully’s steel-reinforced, waterproof trunk straps, patented stabilizer bars, and red reflectors from the Gold Edition model with the additional protection of four impact pads. Here’s what you need to know.
- Premium-grade, soft, elastic rubber material construction protects better than PVC-based models
- 4 – 10 mm thick impact pads add additional bumper protection to an already tough bumper protector
- Standard waterproof, steel-reinforced, trunk straps keep the protector properly aligned while deterring theft
- Patented stabilizer bars add stability to the protector’s top edge ensuring that the protector lies properly on your bumper without exposing your bumper and providing the best protection
- Integrated high-intensity red safety reflectors make the back of your car more visible to drivers while parking and in emergency situations
- This model offers an extra wide protector surface measuring 46W x 12H inches
- Good value
- Looks good on car
- Quality construction and materials
- Easy to install and store
- Straps not adjustable horizontally
- Velcro doesn’t hold well
- Several comments that it should be wider
Bumper Guards for Cars
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
Do you need one of these bumper guards? Which rear bumper guard system are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our LicensePlateBracketCentral.com Bumper Guards for Cars post! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you chose one of the best bumper guards for cars!