A wireless backup camera is considered to be the best backup camera because it has the advantage of only having to install a monitor/receiver, install a camera/transmitter, and connect everything to power to begin using it. Wired backup cameras require running a long video cable from the camera to the display monitor. That being said, you shouldn’t base your choice of the best backup camera on how easy it is to install.
The most important feature of the best backup camera is a clear, wide-angle picture that helps you back up safely. A wireless backup camera will certainly save you the trouble of running the video cable, but you may find that you are disappointed with the quality of the picture due to wireless interference.
Interested in learning about other popular backup camera systems? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Rear View Mirror Camera: Top-Rated Car Rearview Mirror Backup Camera System
- Back Up Camera System: Top Rated RV GPS Wireless Rearview Camera
- Backup Camera for Farm Tractor: Top 5 Best Rated Tractor Reverse Camera Systems
- License Plate Backup Camera: Creative Safety Solutions
- Backup Camera for Truck: Top Rated Trailer Tow Reverse Camera System
- Car Rear Camera: Top Rated Wired Vehicle Backup Camera System
- Rear View Camera Installation: Easy Wireless Backup Camera System Install
- Rearview Camera: Best Budget Wireless Backup Camera System
- Backup Camera Installation: Easy Backup Camera Install
- Wireless Backup Camera System: Best Rated
- Back Up Cameras: Best Value Truck Wireless System
- Reverse Camera: Top 5 Mirror Backup Camera Systems
- Backup Camera: Best Industrial Vehicle Camera System
- Automotive Backup Camera: Amazing Quality Color System
- Backup Camera System: Best Side Camera Equipped Model
- Backup Camera For Trucks: You Absolutely Need This Camera System Now!
- Car Backup Camera: Backing Up; Unsafe At Any Speed!!
- Aftermarket Backup Camera Buying Guide
- Wireless Backup Camera: Best Selling Wireless Backup Camera
If you’re set on doing it yourself, then a wireless model will be easier for you to install. The question is, which one is the best backup camera for you? You’ve seen the commercials. More and more new cars, even budget models, are being equipped with backup cameras or reverse cameras to improve safety.
In fact, a backup camera system of some sort will be required on all passenger cars and light trucks manufactured in 2018 and beyond. There is no doubt that they can be invaluable when backing up in tight spaces like your grocery store’s parking lot or your own driveway.
If your car doesn’t have one, don’t fret. There are several options for adding an aftermarket backup camera to your car and adding the extra safety they provide.
We searched automotive forums, customer reviews sites, DIY forums, social media, manufacturer sites, consumer sites, and retail sites to find the most popular and highly rated wireless backup camera systems.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these popular reverse camera systems is the best backup camera for your needs!
Featuring a full-color 7-inch TFT LCD display and 7-infrared LED night vision camera, the CISNO Car Wireless Rear View Backup Camera and 7-Inch Monitor is a 3-in-1 camera system that installs either mounted or freestanding. It delivers a 170-degree wide angle view of the road behind your vehicle and is fully night vision capable. Take a look at the features that make this reverse camera a candidate as the best backup camera.
Best Backup Camera: Features
- Backup camera system with a 3-in-1 rear view camera
- 7-inch TFT LCD 628 x 582p display
- 170-degree wide angle lens provides side-to-side rear view
- 7-infrared LED night vision capability
- Durable, dust-resistant, and waterproof IP67/IP68 design
- Installs easily in one of two configurations including freestanding or mounted
- Easy-to-operate design does most of the work for you
- Two auto-switching RCA video ports are included for connecting DVD players, a second backup camera, a dashcam, or other video sources
- 12V power connection
- Display measures 7.68W x 5.32H x 0.98D inches and weighs 13.4 oz.
- 1 – Holder
- 1 – Frame
- 1 – Remote control
- Clear picture
- Great value
- Poor instruction manual
- Some complaints of periodic distorted view
If you’re looking for an easy-to-install backup camera system that offers a large, full-color 7-inch LCD display and a license plate mount, the Tadibrothers Wireless Backup Camera with 7-Inch Monitor is a high-quality choice. Tadibrothers offers a wide variety of high-quality backup camera systems and this is one of their most capable wireless models. It features a durable steel construction camera and mount along with a vertically adjustable license plate camera with a new technology CCD sensor and 120-degree FOV that delivers the perfect view to the rear. The camera also features military-grade night vision capability, resistance against shock damage, and a weatherproof design.
- Thin design, clear video, full color, 7-inch LCD display
- License plate-mounted, easy-to-install camera with sensitive CCD sensor, 100% weatherproof and shock resistant design, and military-grade night vision camera
- Durable steel construction camera and mount
- Perfect for trucks and SUVs, it delivers a 50-foot wireless range
- 12V power port cable included
- Easy to install
- Very clear picture
- None noted
The Pyle PLCM7700 Rear View Backup Camera and 7-Inch Monitor Kit features a waterproof, night vision-capable rear view camera and a large 7-inch monitor that form a system perfect for improving backup visibility. The camera installs easily at the top or bottom of your rear license plate and has an IP68 weatherproof rating, night vision capability, and a wide-angle 170-degree field-of-view. It even has integrated distance-line mode to show your proximity to obstacles in your view to make parking faster, easier, and safer. See if you think this is the best backup camera for your needs.
- High-quality, 7-inch TFT LCD display delivers better video quality and detail than smaller models
- Easy-install, license plate mounted camera gives you a full-color, wide-angle 170-degree view to the rear, has an IP68 weatherproof rating, and night vision capability
- Get help with parking using the integrated distance scale lines mode that shows your distance to objects in your field of view
- Easily control the menu-driven control system using the included full-function, wireless remote control
- Connect additional composite video sources using the dual video input sources
- 1 – Suction mount
- 1 – 17-foot RCA video input cables
- 1 – Set power cables
- 1 – Power adapter
- 1 – Wireless remote control for display
- Compact and easy to install
- Convenient and easy-to-use remote control
- Distance lines are very helpful
- Clear night vision
- Poor installation instructions
- Several reports that the distance lines mode is inaccurate
- Some reports that mounts don’t adhere well
To begin with, the Yada BT53328M-1 Digital Wireless Backup Camera with 4.3-Inch Dash Monitor has a high-quality IP67-rated weatherproof and night vision capable rear view camera. It clearly displays live pictures to the rear of your vehicle and comes with an integrated parking assist to make it easier and safer to back up and park. Although this is technically a license plate mounted camera, it mounts differently than what you might think. You slide it onto your license plate or possibly onto the bracket. It’s unclear whether it will fit a license plate that has a bracket. The advantage of this design is that you get more flexibility to position your camera for the perfect view over traditional license plate mounts that are part of a fixed bracket that mounts using the same holes as your license plate. See the features that qualify this reverse camera as a candidate for the best backup camera.
- 4.3-inch display, night-vision capable, rearview camera system with IP67 waterproof rating
- Integrated parking assist lines provide relative distance to objects in your rear view
- Digital wireless design minimizes video degradation from interference effects
- Installs easily over your rear license plate
- Includes suction cup mount for easy placement of the display monitor
- 1 – Magnetic mount
- 1 – Windshield mount for display
- 1 – 12V/24V power adapter
- 1 – Hardwire power cable for dash monitor
- 1 – Installation kit
- Easy to install
- Sturdy mount
- Very good Yada customer support
- Some reports of poor quality electrical connectors
- Some reports of poor image quality
- Camera has a difficult time with multiple light and dark scenes
- Field of view smaller than hoped for
Pyle was one of the first to offer quality wireless backup camera systems and its Pyle PLCM7500 7-Inch Rearview Backup Camera System is one of its latest and best offerings. It features a large 7-inch TFT-LCD display, a wide angle 170-degree IP67-rated full-color camera, and integrated distance lines to help judge distance better when backing up or parking. See the features below that qualify this reverse camera as our choice for the best backup camera.
- True Color Reproduction mirror monitor, 7-inch TFT-LCD, 16:9 widescreen display with auto white balance
- License plate mount full-color rearview camera with wide-angle 170-degree field-of-view, IP67 waterproof and fog-proof rating, and low-light capability
- Integrated distance-line mode shows your relative distance to objects in your field-of-view and is perfect for reversing to park
- Dual video inputs support multiple composite video source choices in addition to the backup camera
- Convenient wireless remote control allows you to control the menu-driven system without having to touch the display
- 17-foot male to male RCA Video connection cable
- Power cables
- Wireless remote control for display monitor
- Mounting instructions
- Universal windshield suction cup mount
- Good value
- Average quality, no-lag picture
- Dual-video source capability is convenient
- Poor instruction manual
- Poor quality wiring harness
- Susceptible to interference from vehicle and other sources
- Camera field-of-view does not appear to be wide angle
Best Backup Camera
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of our beat backup camera list? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
Soon to be required on all new cars and light trucks manufactured for the U.S. market, a backup camera system has been shown to make backing up easier, faster, and safer. You don’t need to buy a new vehicle to take advantage of this safety technology. You can buy and install an aftermarket model that will give you similar capability and features.
We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best backup camera for your vehicle!