An RV is a big vehicle with a big blind spot behind it. That’s why most RV owners choose to install an aftermarket back up camera system to eliminate the blind spot and make backing up and parking safer and faster. Until recently, a back up camera system was a standalone unit with its own display monitor. That meant that if you wanted a high-quality GPS for your RV in addition to a back up camera system, you had to buy two units and mount two separate displays on the dash or windshield.
Fortunately, manufacturers have realized that RV owners don’t want several displays on their dash to accommodate all the functionality they need. Rather, they want a single unit that can handle both the GPS functionality and act as a backup camera display.
There are multiple systems out there now that can perform both functions, but not all are manufactured by a trusted brand. Backup camera systems can be purchased from dozens of manufacturers who are in that business and make quality products, but they are not primarily GPS manufacturers.
Much of the technology in a backup camera system lies in the backup camera itself. The display is certainly important and it brings its own features to the system.
Interested in learning about other back up camera system options? Be sure and see our other articles about some of the best choices!
- Backup Camera for Farm Tractor: Top 5 Best Rated Tractor Reverse Camera Systems
- License Plate Backup Camera: Creative Safety Solutions
- Backup Camera for Truck: Top Rated Trailer Tow Reverse Camera System
- Car Rear Camera: Top Rated Wired Vehicle Backup Camera System
- Rearview Camera: Best Budget Wireless Backup Camera System
- Wireless Backup Camera System: Best Rated
- Back Up Cameras: Best Value Truck Wireless System
- Reverse Camera: Top 5 Mirror Backup Camera Systems
- Backup Camera: Best Industrial Vehicle Camera System
- Automotive Backup Camera: Amazing Quality Color System
- Backup Camera System: Best Side Camera Equipped Model
- Backup Camera For Trucks: You Absolutely Need This Camera System Now!
- Car Backup Camera: Backing Up; Unsafe At Any Speed!!
- Aftermarket Backup Camera Buying Guide
- Wireless Backup Camera: Best Selling Wireless Backup Camera
On the other hand, a GPS is a self-contained navigational system of which there are only a few trusted brands. We recommend that you focus on getting a combination system from a GPS manufacturer that offers a quality backup camera with the system.
Both wired and wireless backup cameras are available with GPS systems. Wireless systems feature easier installation, but are only wireless in the sense that no video cabling has to be run from the camera to the display. That functionality is handled by a wireless transmitter in the camera and a wireless receiver in the display. Power wires are still used to connect the wireless backup camera to the RV’s electrical system and backup lights wiring.
Wired backup camera systems require a video cable run from the camera to the display making installation more difficult and time-consuming. The advantage of a wired reverse camera system, and it’s an important one, is that it is not affected by the interference that can reduce the quality of the backup camera’s picture in a wireless system.
RV’s are long vehicles which puts a lot of distance between the wireless transmitter and the receiver. In areas with a lot of electronic interference like cities and towns, the interference may become problematic even if the rearview camera system is rated for distances longer than the RV.
If you will be installing the rear camera yourself, wireless may be a better choice because of its ease of installation. If you’re planning to have the system professionally installed, a wired backup camera system could be a better choice.
We searched manufacturer’s sites, customer review sites, forums, consumer sites, and retail sites to find the best rated and most popular combination GPS and back up camera system.
Take a look at our choice and see if it’s the best backup camera system for your needs!
You know Garmin for their powerful and advanced GPS systems, but did you know you could get one for your RV that combines a technologically advanced GPS with a wireless backup camera system? Finally, you don’t have to clutter the dashboard area with multiple monitors to accommodate all the functionality you need. The Garmin RV 760LMT GPS with Wireless Backup Camera combines a great trip planner and GPS navigation system with a high-quality BC 20 backup camera and displays everything neatly on a large, easy-to-read, 7-inch display. This Garmin navigator comes with custom features designed specifically for RV lifestyle. That includes customized, suitable RV routing with RV-related restrictions for the lower 48 states and Canada, built-in America’s RV Parks & Services directory, and RV trip planning and sharing capability. It also comes with valuable free lifetime map and traffic updates. In addition to its user-friendly touchscreen interface, it also allows you to navigate using voice commands and can sync with your smartphone via Bluetooth to provide a complete hands-free experience. Here’s what you need to know.
Back Up Camera System Features
- Technologically advanced GPS system designed specifically for the RV lifestyle with bundled wireless backup camera
- Large, easy-to-read 7-inch high-resolution (800 x 480p) TFT touchscreen display
- BC 20 wireless backup camera displays what’s behind the RV when in reverse so you can back up safely while avoiding vehicles, pedestrians, and other obstructions and obstacles
- Extra-loud speakers can be heard over road noise and other distractions
- Enter your RVs height, weight, length, and width to get customized RV routing on detailed maps for the lower 48 states and Canada that includes RV-related restrictions like bridge heights for most major roads and highways
- Displays elevation grade of current roads while driving
- Built-in searchable America’s RV Parks & Services Directory provides a comprehensive listing of nearly 20,000 RV parks and campgrounds in the U.S. and Canada and provides valuable information about amenities like pet-friendly status, on-site laundry services, and electrical hookups along with more than 14,000 service locations including towing, tire shops, truck stops, repairs, and more
- Free lifetime map and traffic updates keep you moving while helping you avoid traffic jams and finding detours
- In addition to its easy-to-use touchscreen interface, it also features a voice command interface that allows you to control the GPS with your voice
- Built-in Bluetooth allows you to synch with your compatible smartphone for hands-free calling using its integrated microphone and speaker
- Use the free Smartphone Link mobile app to pair the GPS to your iPhone or Android smartphone to share information like where you parked, POIs, and destination information as well as gaining access to Garmin Live Services for useful real-time information like weather and traffic reports
- Garmin Real Directions with Garmin Real Voice provides natural voice, easy-to-understand driving directions using recognizable landmarks, buildings, and traffic lights
- Up Ahead Services displays nearby services like restaurants, stores, hospitals, and gas stations alongside the driving map updating in real-time as you travel your route
- Active Lane Guidance uses voice prompts and brightly colored arrows to guide you to the proper lane when entering junctions and interchanges while PhotoReal Junction View realistically displays the surrounding landscape and road signs
- BaseCamp planning functionality allows you to create routes using specific roads while searching for local attractions, restaurants, and gas stations that can then be uploaded to the GPS
- Garmin Adventures, powered by BaseCamp lets you combine routes, waypoints, geotagged photos, and even YouTube videos into an adventure to share with family, friends, and other RV travelers
- Additional RV-specific information includes state border notices, speed limit changes, sunrises/sunsets, and mile marker information
- 1 – FM traffic receiver with 12/24-volt power cable
- 1 – Vehicle suction cup mount
- 1 – USB cable
Back Up Camera System Comparison
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this RV backup camera? Which backup camera system are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our LicensePlateBracketCentral.com article! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you find the best back up camera system for your RV!