An adjustable hitch can replace multiple hitches you may be using now to accommodate multiple trailers you need to tow. An adjustable hitch combines height adjustability with multiple ball sizes so that you only need one tow hitch to tow anything in your inventory.
An adjustable hitch needs to be tough to take the constant changing from one trailer to another, needs to be easily adjustable to make the changes easy and fast, and needs to be strong to easily handle its tow weight and tongue weight ratings.
Interested in see other hitch solutions? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Rear Bumper Protector: Hitch-Mounted Rear Bumper Guard Protects SUVs and Trucks
- Reese 5th Wheel Hitch: New Reese 5th Wheel Hitch 20K Lineup
- Trailer Hitch Step: Pickup Truck BedStep Delivers Better Safer Bed Access
- Weight Distribution Hitch: Top-Rated Eaz-Lift Elite Hitch Kits
- Rapid Hitch: Rapid Hitch Convertible Drop/Rise Greaseless Adjustable Ball Mounts
- Hitch Haul: Top 7 Best Rated 2-Inch Hitch-Mounted Cargo Carriers
There are basically two material types used in any truck hitch and they both have their advantages. Aluminum is lightweight, doesn’t rust, and may give you a slight edge in available tongue weight. Steel is durable and can take more abuse than aluminum.
Adjustable hitches come in a variety of drop/rises and tow and tongue ratings. The hitches in our list are representative of the top manufacturers out there and the hitch you need may be different than the drops and ratings we’ve listed.
I see it all the time that truck owners buy a beautiful, high-quality hitch in aluminum or chrome steel, but after they use it for the first time, the hitch ball is discolored or even looks corroded. It’s not the hitch’s fault. The heat generated by the friction of the towing process causes the tow ball to be discolored. Most likely no grease was used on the ball. To prevent as much friction as possible and reduce wear and tear on your hitch ball, you should apply a light coating of grease. Some manufacturers offer greaseless balls that are designed to operated without grease.
The keys to choosing the right adjustable hitch for you is receiver size, towing weight requirement, tongue weight requirement, ball size requirements, and drop or rise range requirements. Most manufacturers offer a guide to help you choose the right model for your needs.
All of the hitches on our list are valuable and highly desirable and it is recommended that you purchase a lock to prevent theft.
We searched truck forums, social media, manufacturer sites, retail sites, consumer sites, and customer reviews sites to find the most popular and highly rated adjustable hitches.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these heavy-duty hitches in the best adjustable hitch for your needs!
Capable of being used as a drop or rise hitch, the Trimax TRZ8AL 8-Inch Premium Aluminum Adjustable Receiver Hitch features dual 2-inch and 2-5/16-inch chrome balls, an 8-Inch drop, keyed-alike ball mount and receiver lock set, a 10,000 lb. tow weight and 1,500 lb. tongue weight ratings. It adjusts in one-inch increments and then locks in place to provide level towing for almost any trailer. You will appreciate its handsome, rugged styling in 100% polished aluminum that will look good on any truck.
Adjustable Hitch: Features
- 8-inch, 10,000 lb. tow weight, 1,500 lbs. tongue weight, aluminum adjustable trailer hitch with dual hitch balls and receiver lock
- Dual 2-inch and 2-5/16-inch chrome balls
- Keyed-alike ball mount and T3 receiver lockset
- Handsome, rugged styling and construction from 100% polished aluminum
- Ball mount easily adjusts up and down in 1-inch increments and then locks in place
- Can be flipped and used as a drop hitch or rise hitch
- Weight tested to 10,000 lbs. tow weight and 1,500 lbs. tongue weight
- Constructed from 100% polished aluminum
- Flip the razor for added rise
- Nice looking design
- Lightweight, heavy-duty aluminum construction
- Easy to adjust height
- Keyed alike locks use one key
- Placement of raise and lower lock is in an awkward position
- Some complaints of too loose fit in the receiver
A brand new model from GEN-Y HITCH, the Drop Hitch by GEN-Y #525 delivers a whopping 16,000 lb. towing capacity in a 2-inch model. The ball mount/pintle easily adjusts 10-inches up or down with the pull of a pin to adapt to virtually any bumper style trailer coupling available. No need for any additional hitches with this heavy-duty, solid steel construction, precision milled and drilled, and durable epoxy powder coated drop hitch. Easily attach pintle/lunette ring coupling with totally adjustable drop or raise found on certain trailer types.
- Class V, 10-inch, 16,000 lbs. tow rated, 2,000 lb. tongue weight rated, 2-inch adjustable ball/pintle hitch
- Easily adjust the ball/pintle 10-inches up or down using a single pull pin
- Receiver hitch/tri-ball pintle combo hitch
- Solid steel construction with precision milling and drilling, heat-treated ball mounts, and durable epoxy powder coat protection
Works with GEN-Y’s new weight distribution system
- 10-inch drop or rise
- Includes 2-5/16-inch and 2-inch ball mount with pintle lock and two pins
- Special colors or custom sizes available
- Class V hitch exceeds SAE-J684 weight testing requirements
- Made in the USA
- Lifetime warranty
- Large adjustment range
- High quality, heavy-duty construction, and materials
- Flips around to save shins
- Designed for serious hauling and large drops
- None noted
Andersen Manufacturing is known for their high-quality aluminum Rapid Hitches and their Andersen Manufacturing 3410 Aluminum Rapid Hitch is a great example of their craft. One of the smallest drops in our list, the 2-inch/2-5/16 inch 5-1/2-inch drop aluminum Rapid Hitch can be adjusted up or down and comes standard with both 2-inch and 2-5/16-inch reversible hitch balls. Constructed from aluminum super alloy that will never rust and with corrosion-resistant zinc-plated steel hitch balls, the 3410 is rated at 10,000 lbs. towing and 1,500 lbs. tongue weight. Its aluminum construction makes it light, yet surprisingly strong with most models weighing only 15 lbs. An available greaseless ball option makes this hitch even easier to handle and adjust. Perfect for use with multiple trailers, you can flip the double ball over, change the drop to a rise, or adjust the height of the drop by simply removing the hitch pin and making the adjustment. Easy adjustments ensure you are keeping your trailer as level as possible for the best handling and the safest operation.
- 5-1/2 inch, 8,000 lbs. (2-inch ball), 10,000 lbs. tow rated (2-5/16-inch ball), 1,500 lbs. tongue weight rated with 2-5/16-inch steel ball
- Standard double ball features 2-inch and 2-5/16-inch balls
- Hitch is made of polished aluminum that will never chip, peel, or rust
- Rapid Hitch is easily adjustable up or down in 1-inch increments using the quick adjustment pin
- Fully tested and certified by an independent testing lab
- Balls are available in zinc-plated or greaseless aluminum
- Meets V5 and SAE J84 certifications
- Made in the USA
- Solid build quality and materials
- Attractive design and look
- Lightweight aluminum
- Some complaints that holes drilled to pin to receiver are not straight causing severe pin binding
Switching a hitch and ball to accommodate multiple trailers takes time and money and is inconvenient in many ways. The CURT 45900 Adjustable Channel Mount solves those problems by providing both 2-inch and 2-5/16-inch couplers and features an adjustable shank that allows you to level a variety of trailers for safer and more stable towing. Mounts on trailer hitches with 2 x 2 inches receiver tube opening. Channel-style design and dual-pin mounting system reduce annoying rattling and chucking. With sturdy steel construction and a rust-, scratch, and UV-resistant black carbide powder coated finish, you can count on long-lasting performance from this heavy-duty trailer hitch.
- Channel-style, dual-pin, multi-purpose, 10,000 lb. tow rated (2-inch ball), 14,000 lb. tow rated (2-5/16-inch ball) flippable and adjustable ball mount with dual 2-inch and 2-5/16-inch trailer ball sizes and an adjustable shank that can rise up to 5-1/4 inches and drop up to 6 inches
- Channel-style design and dual-pin mounting system provide a built-in anti-rattle feature to eliminate obnoxious chucking noises
- Gross trailer weight capacity of up to 10,000 lbs. for a 2-inch ball and 14,000 lbs. for 2-5/16-inch ball
- Dual pin holes in the shank to be mounted at an 11- or 12-inch length
- An adjustable channel-style shank can also be used with the channel-style combination pintle hitch mount or ball mount platform attachment to give you the option of installing your own trailer ball size
- Sturdy steel construction with our black carbide powder coat finish for long-lasting rust, scratch and UV resistance
- Compatible with 2 x 2 inches receiver tube openings
The CURT 23556 Channel Mount Lock Set is longer than a standard lockset and is perfect for the CURT 45900 Adjustable Channel Mount.
- Heavy-duty construction and materials
- Value load capacity and versatility
- Easy to change height
- Professional fit and finish
- Some complaints of loose fit and poor anti-rattle system which can’t be tightened enough
- Several complaints that the new rubber anti-rattle solution is inferior to the previous set screw design
- Hangs low even reversed
With a unique Tow & Stow design, the B&W TS10048B Tow and Stow Magnum Receiver Hitch Ball Mount folds out of the way to help prevent inadvertent shin damage and profanity. It stows under your vehicle when not in use, but has all the durability and performance you expect from B&W. Its multiple ball sizes eliminate the need for the multiple ball mounts you may have now. It fits any standard 2-inch receiver and easily locks into the receiver tube to prevent theft. Unique tri-ball mount provides 1-7/8, 2, and 2-5/16-inch balls. The adjustable mount provides height adjustment in 1-inch increments. Constructed from high-yield tubing, each hitch goes through a 2-step finishing process of an electrostatic coat and a powder coat that deliver improved corrosion protection inside and out.
- Tri-ball (1-7/8-inch/2-inch/2-5/16-inch), hitch ball mount with a 5-inch drop from the top of the shank to bottom of the ball and 10,000 lbs. tow weight rating and 1,000 lb. tongue rating
- To accommodate different trailers, simply rotate the tri-ball to the desired size
- Easily locked into the receiver tube to prevent theft
- Height adjusts in 1-inch increments
- Corrosion-resistant two-step finish includes electrostatic coating and powder coating
- Manufactured from high-yield tubing
- Fits standard 2-inch receiver tube
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Unique foldaway Tow and Stow design saves shins
- Very little rattle
- High-quality materials and construction
- Beautiful design
- None noted
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these adjustable hitches? Which hitch are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
An adjustable hitch is a necessity if you want to move the hitch from vehicle to vehicle or haul multiple trailers with varying tongue heights. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best adjustable hitch for your needs!