The hottest aftermarket product for your car is definitely a backup camera system. However, the next big thing will be systems that include side cameras in addition to a rear camera. There is no doubt that a wireless backup camera system adds a measure of safety and peace-of-mind to backing up; particularly where small children and pets are involved. We have a factory version on our Chevy Cruze and it works great, but over time we have noticed that there are still some big blind spots on the sides of the car that can still hide obstacles.
Fortunately, the next big thing is already here. Manufacturers are adding side cameras to their upscale aftermarket models to deal with this problem and that makes all the difference in the safety and security of backing up. We didn’t get side cameras with our Chevy Cruze, but that won’t stop you from adding a complete backup system, including side cameras to your vehicle.
For some important considerations when buying a backup system, please see our articles Car Backup Camera: Backing Up; Unsafe At Any Speed!! and Aftermarket Backup Camera Buying Guide 2013. In these article we include some important considerations when buying a backup camera. Also take a look at Backup Camera For Trucks: You Absolutely Need This Camera System Now! and Wireless Backup Camera: Best Selling Wireless Backup Camera 2013 in case you’re looking for a camera specifically for your truck or are more interested in a wireless camera system.
Side cameras are mounted on the side of your vehicle to help prevent blind spots when looking to the rear and the side similar to rear view mirrors. They have their own set of specific characteristics you should look for. Make sure the camera view angle is adjustable usually between -30 to +30 degrees in any direction and whether the side cameras come integrated into the system you buy. You need the adjustability to tailor each camera to your particular vehicle’s set of challenges.
Another thing to keep in mind is choosing between a wireless and wired backup cameras. There is a lot of hype out there recommending wireless backup camera systems for their easy, “no-drill” installation and it may be true that they are easier to install. Easy installation is one thing, but performance should be your main consideration. If you’re not handy, pay the extra money and get the system professionally installed. You will be glad you did in the long run. The right wired backup camera systems will outperform a similar wireless backup camera every time because of the limitations on the distance capability of the wireless signal and the potential for unwanted interference from outside sources. The number one complaint we see in comments about backup camera systems is the poor quality of the images. We recommend a wired system especially in the case where your vehicle is longer from the rear bumper to the monitor.
We took a look at several backup camera systems that had all of the right features and found the Rear View Safety Rear View Camera System with Side Cameras Model# RVS-770616N to have the best capability for the money. It’s a wired system with excellent quality and durable construction. See if this is the perfect backup camera system for you!
Rear View Safety Backup Camera System Model RVS-770616N
The Rear View Safety Backup Camera System Model RVS-770616N is a fully-capable backup support system including a rear camera, two side-view cameras, and a large 7-inch TFT LCD color monitor with mirror-image capability. Its infra-red night vision rear camera allows you to see a full 50 feet behind you even in the dark of night. This high-quality, durable, reliable system features weather-proof components and the highest shock resistance rating in the industry. Take a look at all of its great features.
- Super Sharp crystal clear digital display 7-Inch dash mountable TFT LCD color monitor with 800 x 480 pixel resolution, mirror image capability, built-in speakers, and adjustable distance grid lines. It also features a remote control and on-dash buttons to easily navigate the menu.
- 2 – 120-degree CCD, heavy zinc metal enclosed side cameras with 9 built-in infrared LEDs for no-glare, night vision capability for more than 30 feet. Side cameras can be mounted with a removable bracket or mounted flush to the vehicle.
- 1 – 130-degree precision micro lens 420 TVL (512 x 492 pixels) CCD backup camera with 50-foot (15.24-meter) infra-red, 18 LED, no-glare night vision capability and built-in microphone. It features a heavy-duty zinc metal case which encloses a 2.1 mm Sharp lens.
- The system is controlled by a “smart” multiplexer that takes in all the camera feeds and relays them to the monitor. With three inputs, the multiplexer can accept multiple camera connections and a DVD player if desired. Each camera connected has its own trigger wire. This multiplexer is capable of handling 12-24 volts.
- Weatherproof and shock resistant meeting strict IP68 requirements and 20G side, 15G rear camera impact rating (highest in the industry)
- System comes complete with 66 feet of aircraft-grade connector cable and 2 – 33-foot side camera cables, aircraft grade and weatherproof stainless steel connectors
- Full 1-Year limited warranty
- Great value
- High-quality and durability
- Excellent image display
- Eliminates blind spots to the side and the rear
- May want to get system professionally installed
- Night vision less than perfect
- Poor quality manual
- Menu buttons can be difficult to navigate and remember
Click Here To See More 7″ TFT LCD Color Rear View Camera System Reviews >>>
Click Here To See The 7″ TFT LCD Color Rear View Camera System >>>
Backup Camera System Comparison Chart
|Title||7" TFT LCD Color Rear View Camera System with Side Cameras||Rear View Camera System One (1) Camera Setup With Trailer Tow Quick Connect/Disconnect Kit Model # RVS-770613-213||Rupse 7 Inch Rear View Camera System Wth Side Cameras IR Night Vision for RV Truck Trailer Bus or Fifth-wheel Touring Car One Year Warranty||Mobile Awareness MALDKS70T VisionStat 7" Triple Side View Camera System|
|Feature||7" Color Digital TFT LCD COLOR Display with Dash Mount|
Two CCD (2) 1/4 Sharp Color CCD Side Cameras and one (1) CCD 130° Angle Backup Camera with 250K Pixels, Built-In Mic, and Infra-Red Night Vision
18 Automatic Infra-Red Night Vision Lights illuminates distance of 50 feet
Extremely Strong Weather Proof Casing with an IP68 rating, 15G Impact Rating, as well as a Screw Base
One (1) 66' Aircraft Grade Connector Backup Camera Cable and two (2) 33' Side Camera Cables
|7" Color TFT LCD DIGITAL Wide Screen Monitor|
130° CCD With 18 Bulit In IR's Surface Mount Camera
1 Trailer Quick Connect/Disconnect Kit
3 Channels Allowing You To Connect Additional Cameras
Perfect for 5th Wheels & Trailers
|7" Color TTL Display 16:9(800:480) Wide Screen, Mount and Remote Control|
1/3 COLOR SHARP CCD Camera, 130° Angle 250K Pixels
Build-in 18 high-powered IR LED night vision helping to see better at night
Extremely Strong Weather Proof Casing with IP66 rating, as Well as Screw Base.
Shock resistant with a 10G impact rating (highest in the industry)
|RV Electronics 7"Vision Stat Trpl Camera Ma-Ldks-7.0T Mobile Awareness Llc|
|Weight||0.15 pound||9 pound|
|Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Link||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of May 3 0:21:15 UTC but are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on the merchant site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this Rear View Safety system? Which backup camera system are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
Thanks for taking the time to read our article! We hope you can use it to find the perfect backup camera system for you!